February 2, 2010

Beauty from Pain.....

These following photographs are taken from outside of one of the poorest apartment places in Toccoa. This are of town is not a good one. I have a lot of kids that come from this area from poor family situations and hardships altogether. However, each time I pass this place I see this building... I always fall in love with it. The "finish" of the building is so cracked and ugly. The building is weathered, and it's nothing more than a storage building of some sort. The doors are metal and the walls concrete.

Looking at this place and these pictures captivate me. It makes me think of us- sometimes on the outside nothing more than plain, weathered, and seemingly simple. However, if you take a closer look? Beautiful somehow. It seems that all the things that "broke down" this buildling's look (whether it be weather or old age) just added to its character and beauty. I was reading an E.E. Cummings poem today that made me think of this process of growth and beauty.

So, internet world. Think on these things..... things are not always as they appear- and there is much more that goes into something than seen at first glance.




in time of daffodils(who know
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why,remember how
in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so (forgetting seem)
in time of roses (who amaze
our now and here with paradise)
forgetting if, remember yes
in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek (forgetting find)
and in a mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)
forgetting me, remember me

No comments:

Blog Archive